I’m looking forward to connecting with advisors next week at the NACADA Annual Conference in San Antonio. I was fortunate get the time off work to travel south, since the conference is being held in my (new) home state of TX. Conferences provide a great opportunity to connect with other professionals/faculty, share new ideas and learn what is going on in the wonderful world of advising.
Since some of my favourite academic advising friends are not able to make it to the Lone Star state (due to department cut backs and whatnot), my advisor/tech guru friend, Eric Stoller, suggested we continue to use the Twitter hashtag to enable non-attendees the opportunity to virtually follow the conference action. This ideas was quite a success at the NACADA Technology Seminar amongst the seminar attendees. Eric used the hashtag: #nacadatech09 to aggregate all tagged tweets into the NACADA Tech website via a widget from monitter.com. Amazing.
The hashtag for the NACADA Annual Conference will be: #nacada09
Now tweet your little hearts out, my friends. [Thanks, EDS. You rock!]
How YOU can participate as either a NACADA Annual Conference Tweeter or as a virtual follower (c/o @ericstoller):
- Step 1: Sign up for a Twitter account.
- Step 2: Take your laptop or web-ready cellphone to San Antonio and hope that WiFi is available.
- Step 3: Post updates on Twitter about the conference: session pointers, take-aways, best practices, key issues, etc.
- Step 4: In every 140 character post, include “#nacada09″ (without quotes and a space in front of and after the tag)
- Step 1: Follow the virtual conference action via a Twitter search for #nacada09
- Step 2: Repeat step 1.